Sunday, March 18, 2012

Memories

A few of my favorite memories with Rebecca...

  • Getting snow cones every Sunday afternoon.
  • In the winter when snow cone places weren't open, we got icees from gas stations
  • Being able to talk to each other about things that no one else understands
  • We both got handicap parking stickers. So even when we wouldn't exactly need to use them one day, we still did. And when we got out of the car, one of us would either walk really slow or walk with a limp so that it looked like we actually needed to park in handicap. 
  • Having medical contests. When we would either get an IV, shot, port accessed, or anything that bled afterwords, we would look at the piece of gauze and see if the blood was in the shape of a heart..if ours was, we would get a point. I think she won! It was close though. We would take a picture of it and send it to each other to prove it really was a heart...
  • Driving each other around when one of us couldn't drive because of medicines or sickness. 
  • Having "parties" while everyone else was in school. Our "parties" involved lots of medical things, but we had fun no matter what. 
  • Eating lots of food that our doctors didn't want us to have.
  • Texting crazy medical stories to each other
  • Becoming addicted to every tv show together. We've discussed therapy for our tv addiction.
  • Going to get the most random food at the most random time because one of us was craving it
  • Watching medical shows and diagnosing people on the show faster than the doctors 
  • Having deep talks about life and our faith
  • Sending encouraging verses or quotes to each other
  • Being "rebels" by watching tv shows that our parents probably didn't want us to watch..and no, I'm not telling which ones! We promised not to tell!
  • Not having to say anything when we were together. We just understood what each other was going through. We could go hours without having to say anything.
  • Watching tv all day long in our pajamas 
  • Telling each other stupid things that people have said to us during certain times


These are just a few memories that come to mind. There are so, so many. 

What I miss and will miss the most:
  • The understanding that we had about what each other was going through.
  • Being able to have fun and laugh no matter what. It didn't matter if it was in the hospital hooked up to IVs and monitors. We were able to find something to laugh about.
  • Talking to each other about things that you can't talk to anyone about. 
  • Not worrying about little things that most people worry about.
I am so thankful that God made us friends and I am so excited for the day when I see her again and neither one of us is sick!

This was our favorite song and verse. It gives peace and comfort for both of us.


There's a peace I've come to know
Though my heart and flesh may fail
There's an anchor for my soul
I can say "It is well"

Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead

[Chorus:]
And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise

There's a day that's drawing near
When this darkness breaks to light
And the shadows disappear
And my faith shall be my eyes

Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead

[Chorus:]
And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise

And I hear the voice of many angels sing,
"Worthy is the Lamb"
And I hear the cry of every longing heart,
"Worthy is the Lamb"
[x2]

[Chorus:]
And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise



"My flesh and my heart may fail, but GOD is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:26

4 comments:

  1. I love that you have all these wonderful memories and inside jokes with her. You are both pillars in the Christian faith. Thanks for setting a good example for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^Yes.

    I am so thankful for your friendship with Rebecca & all the things you listed here. Thank you for finding the strength to share them with us. Lots of love x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tribute to Rebecca! I can picture the two of you sharing your fun experiences through your words. We will be thinking of you also as you grieve the loss of a great friend.

    Beverley Farris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these memories you have, and will always have. And I love that song -- I think of you two every time I listen to it. We're praying for you and her family during this tough TOUGH time. And we'll continue praying for a long time to come. Such a tough time, but also a time to witness your beautiful spirit. Jesus HAS overcome. Sometimes that alone is what may get you through the day, but it's enough.

    ReplyDelete