Sunday, July 24, 2011

Baptisms

The past several weeks have been so encouraging! At the Jr High church camp, there were 7 or 8 (I think, from what my brother says) middle schoolers baptized! The next Sunday at church there were 6 that were baptized! Two of the girls we have known forever. Our families have been friends for a long time. One is going into 8th grade and the other is in high school. I'm so sad that I wasn't able to be there because I was sick.

Then that Wednesday night after church, 2 more of our friends were baptized! They are our neighbors too which is great! They are siblings and one will be in 7th grade, and the other is in high school. It was so special!

At the high school camp, there were around 10 that were baptized I think!

Then on July 10th, my brother was baptized along with 3 others that day!

In the past month, there have been 34 teenagers who have given their lives to Christ in baptism! Six of them were not members of our church, meaning their parents don't go to church here. They are already sharing what God has done with their families who do not know Christ.

There have also been many adults baptized recently too!

I love seeing people decide to give their lives to Christ in baptism. I was baptized on August 21, 2005. My best friend was also baptized then. Her dad baptized her, and my dad baptized me. It was the day before school started!

Baptism is such a special, life-changing thing. It's when we confess Christ in front of people, and then put on Christ in baptism. It's an outward expression of an inward change.

'Then he (Jesus) said to them all: “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.' Luke 9:23


'Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.' Acts 2:38


Through baptism, we are crucified with Christ (going down under the water), then are resurrected (coming out of the water). We die to our old selves, and start a new life with Christ. We are born again into a new life!

"Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
 5 If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection." Romans 6:3-5




 "Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit[b] gives birth to spirit" John 3:5-6

'You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.' Galatians 3:26-27
 


The angels in Heaven rejoice even if only 1 person is baptized. I can't imagine what rejoicing they have been doing with all of these baptisms! I don't think it's possible to watch a baptism without smiling. It can turn anything into a great day!


Praise God that He forgives us of our sins and makes us white as snow in baptism. Our names are written in the book of life and we have the hope of spending eternity in Heaven where there will be no more pain, death, suffering, or tears. 


"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” Revelation 21:4


Here are pictures of Landon's baptism!!

Landon's confession

My grandpa leading a prayer before the baptism






Aww brother-sister hug

New brother in Christ!

My grandpa with Landon

Alyx, Andrew, Landon, and I


Look at my face in this one! It's crazy

Grandparents

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I love baptisms - I think you're right that you can't witness one without smiling!

    ReplyDelete