Saturday, October 3, 2009

They know me by name at the hospital...

Today has been an interesting day...I had a good morning just hanging out. My brother is at a church retreat so it's just me and my parents. He is also going to a camp with school on Monday-Wednesday. It's like a whole week of camp for him! So it's been quiet around the house. I decided to do an IV this afternoon. My PICC line has been so hard to flush lately which hasn't been a big deal since I'm getting it out Tuesday. So I flushed the line today and it was even harder to flush. I just ignored it and moved on. I started the IV and less than 5 minutes into it, my chest started burning inside, I couldn't breathe, and I felt like there was something in my lungs. I couldn't stop coughing which made breathing hard too.
My parents immediately took me to the hospital. You can't mess around with PICC lines or ports. You have to do something fast if something is wrong. We got there and the waiting room was full. When the triage nurse saw me she took me straight to a room because she saw how bad things were with me. It was really scary. They got me all hooked up the monitors and my oxygen level was good. My blood pressure was really high though. They ordered xrays of my chest to make sure there wasn't a blood clot or that my PICC line wasn't torn. He also wanted to make sure I didn't have pneumonia. The xrays came back clear which is a good thing! The doctor said since the PICC line has been in so long (7 months) my lungs and where the PICC line is could just be irritated. He said not to use the line anymore since I'm getting it out Tuesday. So they sent me home after a couple hours. I'm glad to not be there anymore! There were tons of people with the flu there.. I used to be in the ER at least once a week for several months. So I got to know everyone there! I love the nurses! They always come hang out in my room and just chat. Except I usually go in the middle of the night instead of the day...so I didn't know the nurses today.
My chest still hurts some but I'm doing a lot better. I'm so ready to get the PICC line out. I just have to wait until surgery Tuesday!
"My soul finds rest in God alone;
my salvation comes from him." Psalm 62:1

1 comment:

  1. Are they going to be able to use it for surgery?


    I always fear going to the hospital or the doc in the box b.c of all the germs.

    ReplyDelete