Thursday, September 16, 2010

Surgery Follow Up Appointment- Surgery is kinda like an invisible illness!

I did try to go to church on Sunday! It didn't go as well as I hoped but at least I got there. I didn't stay very long because I broke down from the pain and fatigue. But it was really great to see everyone!
On Tuesday I had my first follow up appointment with the surgeon! It went very well! We really wish the surgeon was a regular doctor. He is so genuinely caring and wants to listen to what is going on.
He took all the tape off of my incisions and scraped some dried blood (eww) off of them. He said the incisions are looking very good!! Some of the stitches are poking out from inside and he asked if I wanted him to take them out or just let the dissolve. Of course I said let them dissolve! Duh!
It's been 3 weeks since surgery and a week ago I ran out of pain medicine. We called the surgeon's office to tell them and they said they don't refill pain medicine. They said to use Advil and they were very rude about it. So that's what I did. It wasn't pleasant and I was in a lot of pain.
We told that to the surgeon and he got so mad. They never told him that we called. He kept apologizing and was very nice about the whole thing. He explained that usually they want you to be off the pain medicine soon after surgery and that they don't refill pain medicine. But because of my situation, he knew I needed to stay on it longer. Before surgery he was really good at wanting to understand my pain and how surgery would affect it. He actually cared and was concerned.
So on Tuesday he wanted to know about all the pain I'm experiencing. I'm having pain in places that normally shouldn't hurt. He wants some tests done to make sure everything is okay. On Tuesday he sent me to the lab for some blood work. Depending on what the blood work shows I might have a ct scan.
Before my appointment I was a little discouraged because I'm still in a lot of pain. I only have 4 small incisions so why am I hurting so much? He reminded me of what is going on inside my abdomen. He explained what he did during surgery and that to get to the gallbladder he had to cut through muscle. And he did take an organ out and cut adhesions off my liver. My body has to adjust. I felt better after he explained that a little more. It is a bigger deal than I think
Surgery is just like invisible illnesses sometimes. Yes I only have 4 small incisions. But there's so much going on inside that I can't see. That is where the pain is coming from.
He said that I look good, but that I look uncomfortable and in pain. He actually told me to take my pain medicine for a while longer. What?! A doctor actually saw how much pain I'm in and told me to take pain medicine? I never thought I'd see the day! He apologized again for the lack of communication regarding the refills.
I go back to see him in a week and a half!
Thank you for the prayers for my recovery and for the cards and everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment