Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Update

Well, I just wrote a whole post about the weekend with pictures and I lost it all. So I will have to re do that...

I've been on antibiotics for about a week for the possible abdominal infection. I didn't think that this antibiotic would kill the Lyme, but I was wrong. Sunday night I got so sick. I was sitting in the living room and was hit with the worst migraine you can imagine. My jaw hurt too, so talking hurt. I couldn't even move. I got fever and my body ached down to my bones. I was also nauseous. This lasted all night. When the Lyme bacteria is killed, it causes a herx reaction.

This is what Wikipedia says about a herx.

"The Herxheimer reaction (also known as Jarisch-Herxheimer or Herx) occurs when large quantities of toxins are released into the body as bacteria (typically spirochetes) die during antibiotic treatment. It is classically associated with syphilis.
Typically the death of these bacteria and the associated release of endotoxins occurs faster than the body can remove the toxins. It is manifested by fever, chills, headache, myalgia (muscle pain), and exacerbation of skin lesions. Duration in syphilis is normally only a few hours. The intensity of the reaction reflects the intensity of inflammation present.
The reaction is also seen in other diseases caused by spirochetes, such as borreliosis (Lyme disease and tick-borne relapsing fever) and leptospirosis, and in Q fever. Similar reactions have also been reported to occur in bartonellosis (including cat scratch disease),brucellosistyphoid fever, and trichinosis."


When I go to Nevada, I have this every day from the treatments. They don't use antibiotics, but you get the same reaction from natural medicines as you kill the bacteria. Yesterday I felt a little better until I took the antibiotic for the day. Everything hit hard again last night. I'm hurting a lot today.

My mom and I go to my Lyme doctor in Nevada next Tuesday, March 8th. I have a week before we leave. I will be gone for several weeks. My dad and brother are going to come to Nevada on my brothers spring break. We are going to take a few days off from the clinic, and go to Lake Tahoe which is about an hour away.

Does anyone watch House? We found a doctor who is kinda like house. He actually lives in my neighborhood. He has treated a few Lyme patients, but none that are as bad as me. He would like to work with my Lyme doctor to do whatever he can here. On Thursday, I'm going to do a hyperbaric chamber at his clinic. I'll post more about that once I have done it and I'll take pictures!

I'm sure I'll be really sick tonight since it's my last dose of antibiotics. We'll see how that goes. I'll work on the post about this weekend!

1 comment: